02 October 2008

I wish I could vote for Gilles Duceppe

This may sound strange, but even though I am not even remotely Quebecois, everytime there is an election I just want to vote for Gilles Duceppe.

I don't know what it is about him... Maybe it's because he is so debonair. Or because he's got such panache. It could be his well-coiffed silvery hair.

But what I really appreciate about him is the fact that he can basically a) tell every other party leader they are idiots b) tell them where to go and how to get there and c) make it sound so elegant and funny. And he does it every single debate. Repeatedly. It's one of the reasons I just love watching the debates.

The other party leaders get their zingers into each other as well, but it just seems like Duceppe can take it one step further and without falling into the category of taking cheap shots. It's a skill I don't have, but can fully appreciate.

I may visit Quebec again in my lifetime, but I think I can safely say that I will never live there. And as I head to the polls on October 14 I will mark my X beside the candidate's name I believe will work in Abbotsford's and Canada's best interests, but I'll be thinking of someone else.

disclaimer: the above does not necessarily represent political expertise but remains purely the author's opinions, of which she has many

No comments: